Friday, December 30, 2011

Ting-a-ling-a-ling... It's the...

Telephone? No. Not Telephone. (In case you thought that I was referring to the poem "The Telephone")
Ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting-a-ling-a-ling,
That's the Telephone..
Ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting-a-ling-a-ling,
Just when I'm alone...


It's the... New Year.

It's that time where you really stretch yourself to reach and demolish that distant cobweb, de-fridge packets of 'flour' 'seeds' 'spices' which expired the year before the year before that year,make a list of people you'd like to call(knowing you never will - emailing is cheaper, right?), and coming up with a strategic plan for a user-friendly-wardrobe or drawer. For most, it's just a word : NEW. The same routine of last year to be repeated over and over again, with more hope of success and by success I mean you get your 'foot caught in the door' one less time! Then again, for some like me, it'll be a time to flash back into the past and browse through the previous incidents. Honestly, I don't remember much, except..

I remember I whipped up some new desserts. They all had a common ancestor- custard. Custard+choco, Custard+coffee, Custard + banana, Custard+yoghurt, likewise.I think I've mentioned this to a few friends but when it comes to cooking, I go for the colour and presentation, rather than the taste. So..
Interviewer : "Standard of cooking compared to last year...?"
*awkward silence*
Me: "Hey, did you hear about the new Twilight Movie?"

I've tried playing the 'Sound of music' medley on piano. Tried. (At least I can manage Chess and Fiddler on the Roof.) I think I've ignored the guitar for so long, its strings might have hardened with disgust. I remember listening to those songs we enjoyed as teens- BSB, N'sync, Britney, Whitney, TLC, B'witched, Steps and even Eminem.And then, even if I'd been a fan of his for years I did fall in love again with Josh Groban.

Also, I remembered FR David's 'words, don't come easy..'and Joy Enriquez's 'how can I not love you'. I remember listening to the Theme track of Oshin and missing childhood along with all its freedom and innocence - I watched a clip of 'Amba yahaluwo',and once the words of 'Katu akule...' flowed out, so did my tears.

Then, I enjoyed Ally McBeal- at times itching, but real life drama.Superb music. Barry White FTW! Also, Sherlock in 2010 and Penguins of Madagascar. My love for Korean Drama just heightened after watching Secret Garden and I had transformed myself into one of the many damsels who hope that once Hyun Bin(the lead actor) gets discharged from  his military service,would come and get me, lift me off my feet, and carry me away into my dream castle.(huh!!fat chance!!Note- I learnt that from Bridget Jones.) My usual- Bones ended its 6th season and started on a brand new one a few weeks back. I think the plot's more interesting than ever or I've become more boring. (Former, please!)

This year, I became a member of two things. First- the group of people who, like a super hero, work till 2am, only to wake up like a botox-all-gone-wrong 68 year old the next morning. Then, Secondly- Twitter.

Few months back Ms.Vivimarie Vanderpoorten autographed her book for me when I met her at an Art Exhibition. I also bought my first painting there- four shadows of dancing ballerinas agianst a colourful, striped background. The picture hangs near my bed.

I still didn't try the new pool they had built at my school. Rain, flu, rain, exams, rain, exams,work etc. They all filed in one after the other. Maybe next year, it might be nice to visit at least.. Two of my closest school friends left overseas for higher studies,good luck to them! And a few of my university friends, in the senior batch graduated this year. Next year,it's us. This time next year, I can add University to the list of things I shall miss as well.

No dream is neither too big nor too small to dream, as long as your heart is in it. I've always wanted to become a teacher. This year, I became one.

There are a few things that I tried for the first time this year- like announcing at a Sports meet,compering a Concert, buying the ideal party dress, reading more than 3 thick books - not related to acedamic studies (The Ginirella Conspiracy, A Cause Untrue, The Road from Elephant Pass. Hmm..all three involving -a thick plot, an intelligent woman, Army bloke(s),and war.) I promised Goodreads that I'll read 40 books(thick, thin, medium) this year but I doubt I'd reach the goal. I also wore saree, the 'usual style'(else it always tends to be the traditional Osari!) for the first time. That was for my batchmate's wedding. 

I was at the temple today, sitting under the Bo-Tree, all decorated with jasmines.There was no wind, and the cold air just sat still around me.

I remembered how this year brought me opportunities I'd had to help someone else, a friend, a relative, be it any other person... and those moments all seemed to appear in soft tones in my mind. Not sure if that's how remembering the good you've done works. Not that I was proud of it, but I was glad. I am glad. So, 'life' and I, just secretly smiled. I hope I'll come across more moments like that, next year.

Princess Eliza, watching a clip of Hitler speaking in The King's Speech asked 'What's he saying?' to which King George replies 'I don't know, but he seems to be saying it rather well'. Well then, have I? If none of the above makes any sense, here's a simple line to make at least the adios sound pretty -
                      happy new year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the best new year messages I've ever come across!!! (and I usually hate the typical new year stuff; it's just another day, another year for me now) This actually got me thinking! Good stuff Ishi! Keep up the wonderful writing, loved it!
Chaaya xoxo

Ishi said...

Thank you angel!! Wishing you all the VERY best for the New Year ;-)